Saturday, April 13, 2013

Blessings from a Doctor


One special incident that happened on one of my lowest points...this past Wednesday evening Dr. Cooke, the attending oncologist, stopped by.  Unlike other doctors, he held in his hand not a stethoscope  but the ultimate textbook of healing-the Bible.    He shared with me verses ending 2 Corinthians 12, which talks about St. Paul's "thorn in the flesh".  Three times the apostle pleaded that God remove them;  Dr, Cooke likened that to three extreme situations in my life-2 cancers and a BMT.  God didn't answer the Apostle Paul with a straightforward yes/no answer, He only replied- My [God's] grace is sufficient for you, my power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  This was such a comforting reminder to me, that God's grace will always be enough to meet my needs.  
Dr. Cooke with his Bible
He also shared with me his daily devotional, which was on the life of Joseph. The main point was that through the dark times in our life we see the light of God's power, love, and might best.  Sometimes we need dark times in our lives so that we rely upon God more; too often I know, in my life, I've relied upon myself when things are easy in my life, only calling out to God when I face trials.  Dr. Cooke mentioned how important it is to be dependent on God through both the hard and easy times in our lives.  
Each day he shares an encouraging thought or verse from the Bible.  I'm so blessed to have him!  

On a side note, the initial results of my endoscopy have returned.  There is still some irritation in my stomach (which is too be expected) but thankfully not as much as was expected.  However, at one point in my stomach/intestinal meet the bile is going up, instead of down.  I've been put on a some medications that hopefully will help resolve this matter.  Other than that, please pray that I could eat and take my oral pills, so I can go home!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment