Saturday, April 20, 2013

Finally Home!

I'm finally home!  It is so wonderful to be back with my amazing family in my lovely home.  It was kinda a whirlwind (and sudden) discharge;  on Wednesday morning I was cleared to leave, as soon as my tri-fusion catheter was removed.  There was an opening in the schedule, so out it came Wednesday afternoon! AND, I got to keep it, which I think is really cool! Thursday morning I was discharged, and after doing some major packing home I was!
With Mrs. Webster, just before my tri-fusion came out.  Both my parents were at our home, and because the surgery was scheduled so suddenly, neither had time to come to the hospital.... and I was a little nervous! God sent Mrs. Webster at the exact instant that I was being taken; two minutes later and I would have been gone!  It was so comforting to have such a dear and loving friend with me for the procedure; it was also a reminder of God's love to me, that He prompted her to come that day at that time! 
Ready to leave!
Goodbye!
Because I'm still severely immunocompromised, our entire house had to be thoroughly cleaned before I could come home; this was much more than your average house clean- everything had to be wiped down with sanitizers, to be as dust and germ free as possible!
Though I'm home, there are still several restrictions I have to follow. For instance, I can't eat fruits or vegetables that aren't cooked, unless they can be peeled, and no fast food.  I can't be in crowds, including church or shopping stores.  I need to limit my visitors to people without colds/coughs/fevers or that have family that is sick.  My family also has to be careful not to interact with those that are sick; please pray that we all would stay healthy and infection free as I recover!

My last night at the hospital, two different friends asked me what was the first thing I was going to do when I got home, which of course I hadn't thought about!  So I decided to list 10 things that I've really enjoyed these past few days, roughly organized in the order I enjoyed them.  

  1. Sit OUTSIDE!  Mom said nature was celebrating my discharge, as it was nearly 80 degrees that day- no small feat for Cleveland, where two days later it is snowing!  It was lovely to feel the wind blowing, soak up the sun's warm rays, and just smell the great outdoors!  
  2. Walk on carpet- and barefoot! No more hospital flooring! 
  3. Cook my own dinner and have my own food! I love to be in the kitchen, so I really missed it.  I made myself mac 'n' cheese shells for dinner. Also, I hate hospital food, and haven't eaten any of it for the last four weeks of my stay. It's so nice to have so many edible choices available at any time.
  4. Play a real PIANO!! I greatly enjoy my piano and violin, and have missed them immensely  While I had a keyboard at the hospital, there is nothing like a real piano (not to mention it is my piano) to play on; also, I had all my music to select from!  My sister was afraid I was going to overtire myself from playing and valiantly tried to get me to stop... 
  5. My own bed and bedding! No more standardized sheets or blankets, or the plastic mattress or pillows (which can get unbearably hot). 
  6. See Duino! -Our (my) cat, who our music teacher has graciously been hosting for the last several weeks.  It is wonderful to have her home again! 
  7. Eat good food! I haven't eaten so much in months! My dad made my favorite Indian dishes that I've been enjoying...well I've been enjoying all the food.
  8. Sprawl on the furniture...I'm no longer limited to a hospital bed or chair! And no medical staff to interrupt our family times.
  9. Wear t-shirts or anything I want again! Because of my tri-fusion and Mediport access and IV lines, I only was able to wear button down tops.  I also only wore certain no-frills clothes to make it easier to adapt to the multiple IV lines and other inconveniences of the hospital.   Not to mention I couldn't/didn't take my entire closet with me.  It's really nice to only have to consider the weather when I choose my clothes.   
  10. And most importantly, being with my family!! I've missed them so much...It is absolutely incredible to be back together again.  I love hearing the many sounds of a busy household- both indoors and out- and just being able to do things with them  whenever I want.  
A family again
The beauty of God's creation
A beautiful filled chocolate "Welcome Home" cake from our dear neighbors!
I feel like a released prisoner, enjoying the tastes of freedom once again.  Thank you all for your prayers, supporting words, visits, and outpourings of love.  While this has been an incredibly long and rough road, which isn't over yet, I'm so grateful that God has brought me and my family through this time.  His grace has always has been and always will be sufficient for what we need.  The day I was discharged, I heard a song that has often comforted me, as it reminds me of God's amazing power.  


You Are I AM
I've been the one to shake with fear
And wonder if You're even here
I've been the one to doubt Your love
I've told myself You're not enough
I've been the one to try and say
I'll overcome by my own strength
I've been the one to fall apart
And to start to question who You are

You're the one who conquers giants
You're the one who calls out kings
You shut the mouths of lions
You tell the dead to breathe
You're the one who walks through fire
You take the orphan's hand
You are the one Messiah
You are I AM

1 comment:

  1. Jen, I'm rejoicing with you that the Lord has helped you and that you are finally home again with your family, enjoying so many things you couldn't over these last few weeks. Praise the Lord!!!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete