Sunday, December 15, 2013

Answered Prayers

Often I post specific prayer requests on my blog; but I know there are so many of you who consistently pray for me, regardless of special needs.  I wanted to share an incident that happened just last week; because of the suddenness of everything that happened, we didn't get to tell many people about it.  The wonderful thing that happened through this, is that many of my college friends and I were able to pray together and see God answer our prayers! So... to back up and tell the full story!
Two some weeks ago: My family had been passing around a cold, and I finally got it.  I got a pretty severe cough, that was hanging on!
Wednesday, December 4th:
Early Afternoon: My dear nurse Ceci called almost daily, to check up on me.  That day I was feeling quite poorly, and a little short of breath.  My oncology team consulted, and asked me to go to the emergency room.
Late Afternoon: Well, being the stubborn girl I am, I decided not to go to the ER right away.  I wasn't feeling well, so I was pretty sure I would be admitted into the hospital, and made up my mind to make the most of my remaining free time!
My friends had invited me to go make photo snow globes with them, and then join them for dinner. We had an incredible time capturing most of our friend group in our snow globes and I had an amazing dinner (because I thought it would be the last time I would get a decent meal in a good while)!  One special moment I wanted to share...while I was standing in line, I was pretty nervous about what the doctors would find. My friend Heather saw me, and walked over to me.  Putting her arm around me, right in the middle of the cafeteria, she prayed with me, and asked God to allow me to finish the semester and that I would be healthy. 
During dinner, my Dad called; he was away on a business trip, so couldn't come with me.  My Mom was nervous, because the last time I went to the ER with lung trouble, I ended up in the PICU.  Dad said to firmly insist I be put in oncology, or he would fly up right away!
Evening: I went home and picked Mom up to go to the ER. Keeping with my stubborn self, I refused to pack clothes or anything else and we left.  Thankfully, Rachel had packed a bag of snacks and clothes and other such necessities. 
Night: After we got there, they needed to put in an IV.  I'm an extremely hard stick and so was understandably tense about it!  However, God blessed us with an amazingly kind and loving nurse, Shifra.  She assured me she would only try if she like what she saw-and she got an IV on the FIRST TRY!
A chest X-ray came back clean for pneumonia! Another answered prayer! Mom and I were both shocked, because I certainly didn't sound/feel like my lungs were clear!
Next they wanted a chest CT...which meant another, larger IV! It was an EMT that was going to try and I wasn't to sure about it.  She said she would just look, and if she didn't see anything, she would call Shifra.  Well, she got her IV on her first try! It was nothing short of a miracle that two different nurses would both get an IV on their first tries! It was such a reminder that God was watching out for me, and had guided their hands, and cared about even the smallest details!
"Brown Girls"
Shirali, Jahnvi, Mandy and I
Snow Globe Pictures!
Most of our little group!
Thursday, December 5th
3AM: Since they didn't find anything anywhere, I got to go home! And even though it was incredibly early, it was wonderful! I slept until noon! Although I had had a test that morning, Jessica, my wonderful helper at the Office of Accessibility, had spoken with my professor and gotten it moved.  My orchestra director also allowed me to skip rehearsal that afternoon. 
Late Afternoon: I finally went to college; however, I was able to take my sidekick John! We had a blast together as we both did our work, with our friends Sharon and Craig Bernard. The four of us enjoyed hot chocolate and cookies and had a productive afternoon together!
Evening: My final concert! John was able to meet our director, Dr. Bordo.  It was a blessing to join in prayer with other musicians before the concert.  Mom and the kids came, bring Ms. Kathleen, our piano/cello teacher.  It was such a special blessing that she came, as I knew she wasn't feeling well at all, and how hard it is for her to get in and out of our van.  Also, Naokosan came, bringing her four oldest.  It is always a joy to see them, as they are such an encouragement to me.  Also, my nurse Ceci came, bringing her dad! She had promised to come to a concert, but I knew Thursday nights were extremely difficult for her, not to mention she is coming from more than an hour away! I saw her walk in just before the concert began, and it was just the most special thing in my heart to see her there. 

I felt so blessed and so privileged to have so many people  that love and care for me, there to cheer for me.  All I could remember is the incredible love of God, because I do not deserve any of this. 
What I had asked my friends to pray is that God would give me until my last final, on Friday, December 13th, to be out of the hospital.  It was so close to the end of the semester, and I wanted so badly to finish all my work.  I'm so grateful and humbled that God was gracious enough to allow me my heart's desire, and be able to finish my semester!  
The Love of God
The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.
Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints’ and angels’ song.

With Mom at home, with the beautiful flowers Mrs. Ceci brought!

No comments:

Post a Comment